Thursday, May 29, 2008

Life Skills-Learning-A Course in Light Speed Reading




Author Joseph has to say about The Course

When I was in second grade I was called upon to read in front of the class.
The material I was required to read was above my ability at the time and I
knew it. I was so frightened to stand in front of the class, yet I was unable to
resist the teacher who was an old-school disciplinarian. The teacher insisted
that I come up and read in front of the class or receive a severe consequence
- she liked to strike the backs of hands with a ruler, a very intimidating and
painful experience.
I was petrified with fright as I stood before my class, many of whom were
snickering and giggling. I gave them quite a show when I released my
bladder in fright. I was so embarrassed, and the teacher so unsympathetic,
that I swore I’d never do that again. I was traumatized to say the least. I
never again stood in front of a class - I took the consequences instead.
Further, I never undertook to read adequately because that meant “proving”
it to my teachers and classmates in some embarrassing way. So, I went to
my mother’s mother, my grandma Tuggle. She was a special reading teacher
for the school district I lived in. She taught me some shortcuts that helped
me get through. Some of her shortcuts are included in this course because
they worked so well for me.
In the mid 1970's I completed the Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics course.
The concepts of supersonic reading appealed to me having actually
demonstrated to myself that it could be done. I burst the reading barrier and
proved to myself that I was not a dummy - I had just learned a system that
did not work for me.
Years later, when one of our daughters was nearly gang raped after school
and our son was beaten into a gang, we pulled our school age children out of
school (there were 4 then) and determined to teach them at home. I took
upon myself the task of teaching them how to read, since a person can learn
just about anything if they know how to read. All the successful tactics I
used with them I included with this course.
We did some experimentation with eye patches, reading upside down and
backwards, and generally having a great time. We also used “shortcuts” and
“cheating” as one daughter who took the course scolded me - she had been
taught what was fair and correct in reading.
After 8 weeks of our course, the oldest daughter, then in her senior year in
traditional school, was able to demonstrate a reading speed of over 30,000
words per minute and comprehension level of 95% (from her initial speed of
120 and comprehension level of 30%). The youngest of our children to take
this course was then in 8th grade. Her scores were similar - 25,000 words
per minute and 95% comprehension. They were amazed, yet not surprised.
As they have gone on with their lives, they have chosen to practice some of
the skills and have retained much of their skill.
In this course I offer you the value of my experience in reading. My belief is
that you already know how to read; you’ve just been conditioned to believe
that you either can’t read or read slowly. My own experience in second
grade and on through the public school system has shown me the inadequacy
of our present system of instruction in reading. Belief in our own innate
genius might be a wonderful start.
Thank you for investing in this course. May you experience wonder and awe
in yourself as you progress.
In gratitude,

Joseph Bennette


Download

No comments: